Fatal 3 - Operator slips whilst checking installation of new screens
- Site operatives were to inspect screen mats on the newly installed screen and install a rubber curtain.
- A risk assessment was obtained, and a STOP assessment completed.
- The injured person accessed the screen and slipped as he moved on the screen and resulted in damage to his leg muscle
- The risk assessment obtained was not for the task being carried out.
- The STOP assessment didn’t consider all of the hazards involved with the task.
- Access to and from the screen to carry out the task was poor, and no control measures were put in place to control fall from height risks.
- The plant is fitted with effective recordable CCTV which supported the IP / site team to investigate the incident.
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT IMAGES
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS TAKEN
- When reviewing a risk assessment, all hazards must be accurately identified, and suitable control measures implemented.
- The risk assessment for a task must be suitable and accurate to the task being carried out.
- Methods of access to and from a screen must be assessed to ensure all hazards are identified and fall from height risks are controlled.
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS IMAGES
Go Back to Search Critera