|Worker involvement in iPave Tablet solution for Contracting Industry
Contract surfacing is a transient operation with the workforce regularly changing sites, placing high demands on the business to achieve health and safety excellence. Numerous health and safety paper procedures were more of a barrier than an enabler. With an ever increasing customer focus on integrated teams and electronic data, such as Building Information Modelling (BIM), and challenging sustainability targets, the need to embrace modern technology was essential.
Discussions with the workforce, initiated by Hanson’s Safety Behavioural Programme, highlighted these areas for improvement and the need to deliver real innovation. A project team including foremen and safety representatives, identified the use of an adapted tablet as a means of addressing these issues which would enhance workforce and contractor safety on site.
The iPave tablet was developed as an on-site solution for capturing photographic, video, audio and GPS location records of incidents and activities on-site, in real-time. Additionally, iPave records plant inspections, near hits, dynamic risk assessments, COSHH assessments, method statements and daily site walkthroughs. The iPave tablets were rolled out to selected sites, on a trial basis, and feedback was encouraged from the surfacing operatives. Using feedback from the trial, iPave was further developed and improved before rolling out across the country. \the roll out was supported with iPave training sessions which were delivered with the assistance of foreman and safety representatives.
The iPave project was led, developed and championed by the workforce.
• Replaced a highly paper-based health and safety culture
• A safer, better informed and more efficient work force
• A 50% increase in Near Hit Reporting since its introduction
• The ability to make real-time recordings of dynamic risk assessments
• £28K savings in photocopying, pre-printed stationery and process efficiencies
• Facilitated the implementation of techniques such as Visual Management and 5S’s
• Improved the identification of risks and hazards on site
• Provided access to real-time photo/video plant failure information
• Workforce engagement in process changes enhanced safety culture