FATAL 6 - Road traffic accidents
Circa 10% of fatalities involving employees or contractors in the industry are as a result of RTAs - this figure excludes the fatalities involving other road users or pedestrians.
The mineral products industry uses a wide range of vehicles including, tippers, truck-mixers, flat beds, bulk tankers, vans and cars. This fleet of vehicles is driven by employees, hauliers, owner drivers and contractors, some of whom may not speak English.
In delivering millions of tonnes of product, many thousands of journeys are made every day on behalf of the industry. Many of these journeys are on congested urban streets or on rural roads in all weather conditions.
Most fatalities involve vulnerable road users such as pedestrians and cyclists.
The risk of road traffic accidents will be mitigated by a range of measures including;
- Raising awareness and competence of drivers through training
- Raising awareness of other road users of hazards associated with LGVs
- Using vehicle safety devices to improve visibility and detection
- Visual and audible warning for cabs and road users
- Controlling use of mobile devices in vehicles
- Working with other organisations to raise industry standards such as
- More effective route planning and scheduling
- Maintaining vehicles to a high standard
- Ensuring the health and welfare of drivers.
MPA Working Group and other Resources
Find out more about MP Connect Cards for hauliers and other drivers by contacting MPQC
Please click on buttons below to view more information.