Mitigating the high consequence hazards in the Mineral Products Industry
FATAL 1 - Contact with moving machinery and isolation
22% of fatalities in the industry are as a result of contact with moving machinery often associated with reactive maintenance and a failure to correctly isolate all sources of energy.
Fatalities or serious injuries mainly due to a failure to isolate machinery, poor guarding, inadequate exclusion areas, poor procedures or a failure to follow them. These tragic incidents often involve horrific injuries associated with entrapment, crushing, amputations, pinching, lacerations or burns.
In many cases these incidents were forseeable and avoidable. Reducing them will be achieved by the implementation of the following
- Better designed plant and processes
- Better designed guarding
- More effective supervision
- Better risk assessments
- Additional training
- Following LOTOTO isolation procedures
- Use of appropriate exclusion zones
- Updated safe systems of work (SSofW)
- Ensuring continued monitoring of SSofW and condition of safety equipment
- Other related measures.
Click on the buttons below for relevant information.