Detailed below are a number of steps that if correctly followed might have prevented these accidents and will prevent further similar injuries. The precautions are:
• Always check your isolations have been effective before placing hands in machinery/ equipment
• Do not move belts/pulleys/flywheels and similar without specific tools/defined methods
• Check that you have the correct gloves (personal protective equipment) for the task
• Use push sticks/tag lines and similar as opposed to placing your hands/fingers at risk.
• Check if the risk assessment requires any specific controls to protect your hands?
Think where you put your hands and fingers – don’t place them at risk!