|Flooring slab final placement lifter test machine and process
Charcon Construction Solutions introduced the insertion of final placement lifters into their slab product range in 2014. As part of the production process, random testing of the lifters on the cured slabs was undertaken. The testing was undertaken at pre-determined loads. However, Charcon was concerned that the random sampling approach still risked the potential failure of a lifter when the product was being installed with potentially catastrophic consequences.
The only way to be confident that all slab final placement lifters were fit for purpose was to carry out a mechanical pull out / proof load test on each and every lifter. This would require up to 1750 test lifts per day, mechanisation of the test process would therefore be essential. A special machine was designed that could test the lifters under pre-determined loads to ensure that they were fit for purpose. The machine was developed at a cost of £45,000, it requires a full time operative to support the testing operation.
• Eliminates risk of failure of a lifter on-site
• Avoids potential for serious injury or damage during lifting and placement on-site
• Lifters in slabs reduces manual handling injuries and crushing
• A safer work environment for all involved with handling the slabs
• Enhanced customer satisfaction.