|Wire Dispensers for 5mm pre stressed wire
Charcon Construction Solutions produce a high volume of T beam products in an external environment utilizing 5mm pre stressed wire for the stressing operations. The 5mm wire from the manufacturers was traditionally supplied in large diameter coils which were difficult to handle.
The safe and clean storage of coils was inherently problematic and it was difficult to achieve smooth “snag less” de-coiling, when jams occurred potentially hazardous manual intervention was required. The off- loading from delivery vehicles was prone to cause wire damage from fork lift truck forks as the coils were often placed directly onto a trailer flat bed, the damage increased potential for wire breaks during stressing process.
Charcon decided to challenge the norm of delivery in large diameter coils for 5mm wire. It worked with Arcellor Mittal, a major global wire importer, who changed its packing process to deliver much smaller diameter coils. They also supplied a new wire dispenser replacing the traditional “lobster spot” dispensers. Reducing the coil diameter also bought the 5mm coils into line with how 9.3mm and 12.5mm strand is packaged. See additional pdf for images and watch video.
• Safer off- loading from delivery vehicles
• Improved and reduced storage area, free of contamination as off floor
• Improved stock management and rotation
• Reduction in wire damage
• Reduced potential for wire breaks during the pre-stressing process
• Simplified and better controlled dispenser - to date no “jamming” incidents
• Elimination of the risk of hand and arm injuries, during the release process
• More efficient and safer operation
• Harmonisation of handling procedures across all wire sizes
• Complying with BP Code of Practice for Pre-stressed Concrete Products