|Hope health and well-being
Hope Construction Materials (HCM) believes passionately that it can have a positive impact on the wellbeing of its employees and that, in turn, this will have a positive impact on its business.
HCM’s vision is to create a supportive and positive environment in which people can flourish. It developed a people’s strategy to help deliver this. The strategy was split into 9 key focus areas, two of which are “wellbeing” and “giving something back”.
In 2014, a survey was undertaken with specific questions relating to wellbeing and giving something back. The survey asked colleagues to rate the following:
• I am comfortable with the levels of pressure/stress in my role.
• I am happy with the balance between my work life and my home life.
• I feel that Hope really cares about both my health & my safety.
• I am aware of the work that Hope does to support worthy causes (e.g. charities).
• I believe Hope supports worthy causes in a way that makes me proud.
• At Hope I feel I can contribute to supporting worthy causes.
HCM’s plan was to work on these areas and improve - starting with a clear focus on leadership and communication.
Some examples of the activity undertaken are;
The annual management conference in January
• Safety, health and personal wellbeing were among the main themes
• Colleagues invited to participate in two wellbeing activities such as a gym challenge, Thai Chi or massage.
• Subsequently, cascaded through the business at local team development days.
National Health & Wellbeing Forum
HCM invited volunteers from across the business, roles and geographical areas to join this forum. Its role was to meet on a quarterly basis and share ideas and promote wellbeing focused activities in which all can participate. Some examples of this great work are outlined below;
• Development of awareness/promotional material
• Workshops to build resilience and confidence for success and happiness
Giving something back
• Hope for Others volunteering scheme – supporting voluntary work in the community
• Supporting local charity events, charity days and bake sales
• Open days
• Hope 10,000 steps challenge
• Cycle to work scheme and promotion
• Hope organised walks
• Free fruit baskets
Those participating in activities are encouraged to share their experiences either within their team or the wider organisation. See additional pdf for sample of brochure used to support volunteering.
• Very positive feedback from all involved
• Better work life balance being established
• Better understanding of importance of health and well being
• More engaged workforce
• Increasing levels of participation
• Enhanced quality of community engagement
• Healthier eating options available to staff
• Improving health of those engaging in activities
Click image to enlarge
Click image to enlarge