At Kerneos Ltd plant there are various tasks requiring operators to work at height. The company was aware that the ‘Working at Height Regulation 4’ requires companies to plan the task and states that planning includes the management of emergencies and rescue.
A key element of the plan is the availability of appropriately trained staff to handle a rescue. The site uses the harness based ‘Gotcha Safety Rescue System’. However, it was difficult to find a safe, controlled environment to train and refresh staff on how to use the equipment. To address this issue, a practice platform was constructed in the engineering workshop. The new platform allows trainers to teach staff on-site and enables them to practice in a safe, controlled environment.
• Staff much more confident in use of emergency equipment
• Training can take place at convenient times for staff – not during shut downs
• Both staff and contractors are being trained
• Feedback from staff very positive
• Better prepared should an emergency occur.