Contract hauliers are key partners in CEMEX’s operations, over 75% of CEMEX’s materials were delivered by them in 2016. It was recognised that a robust system for the selection, management and engagement of contract hauliers was essential. CEMEX focused on the following four initiatives to help achieve this.
Existing contract hauliers were supported to become a minimum FORS Bronze accredited. Newly appointed hauliers were required to hold a minimum of a FORS Bronze accreditation.
Haulier H&S Compliance Checks
CEMEX carried out 59 audits with its hauliers, assessing all parts of their operation including fleet and maintenance management, driver training and transport operations. An action plan was produced at the end of each audit which identified where gaps existed, the best way to close them and over what timescale.
CEMEX stopped using hauliers that were unable to meet its minimum standards.
Haulier H&S Awards
CEMEX Haulier H&S Awards were launched to recognise the achievements of its hauliers in fleet safety and driver health. This was a quarterly recognition program that helped to share best practice with all the hauliers. The winning drivers received a ‘Red Letter Day’gift voucher.
Haulier H&S Leadership Days
Eight Haulier H&S Leadership days were held. The purpose was for hauliers to share best practice, to raise any concerns directly with the CEMEX Logistics Management team, to participate in discussions about the latest fleet safety technology, recent safety alerts, and the latest industry developments and priorities.
- In 2016, over 85% of subcontractor volume was delivered by FORS accredited hauliers
- By the end of 2017, 100% of our subcontractor volume will be delivered by FORS accredited hauliers
- All the CEMEX haulier fleet meets the minimum H&S standards
- Hauliers place fleet H&S and driver training at the centre of what they do
- Hauliers, covering circa 60% of the subcontractor volume, attended leadership days
- Improved understanding and sharing of best practice
- Safer and better trained hauliers delivering products for CEMEX