13 employees at EPC-UK volunteered to start a new safety initiative, centred on behavioural safety, they became the company’s safety ambassadors. Their employee lead campaign has been developed with the mind-set that all employees are ‘One Team’, with one vision
– for all to return home safely at the end of each day.
The safety ambassadors are working to enhance behavioural safety by facilitating greater worker involvement. Their work involves encouraging safe working amongst their peers by:
- Giving them the confidence to challenge unsafe behaviour
- The delivery of safety presentations centred around behaviours and awareness
- Conducting peer reviews following incidents where the cause is deemed to be behaviour related
- Informal safety chats with their colleagues around any issues of concern
- Regularly walking around site to ensure they are visible and accessible.
They have also developed a safety based mobile phone App which is designed to provide an easy to use, paperless system for the immediate communication of issues, near misses and to complete dynamic risk assessment forms. The ambassadors provided small working group sessions on how to use the App.
- Employee lead safety initiatives helps others to engage
- App based system enhanced safety communications
- App system reduces isolation of workers in remote location l Culture changed as staff better understand behavioural safety l Better learning by discussing behavioural factors
- Employees more confident in challenging unsafe behaviours.