The bitumen kettle at CEMEX’s Lincoln Coating Plant is in an elevated position. In the event of an overspill, there is an increased potential to cause harm to operatives or customers being loaded. Four separate safety features have been installed to prevent the bitumen weigh hopper from overflowing. Each system works independently of the others to make it failsafe. An overflow pipe has also been fitted directly into the mixer to prevent bitumen running through the plant in the unlikely event that all the safety features fail.
The systems are:
- PC over weight cut off – PC will stop the bitumen pumps when it reads 140Kg
- PC time out – PC will stop the bitumen pumps when they run for more than 30 seconds
- Bitumen pump time out – a separate mechanical timer that will stop the bitumen pumps after 36 seconds
- Hycontrol over fill probe – the probe will stop the bitumen pumps at two thirds capacity.
- Risk of overfill has been eliminated
- A safer plant for all.