|CEMEX UK has developed a safety campaign which applies to all the different areas of the business. The focus of Stop and Think was a real-life employee who, having had a serious accident at work, has returned with a clear message for others.
The different elements of the campaign include:
1. Injury prevention tours, during which, Stop and Think guides were handed out and discussed. Employees were encouraged to “sign up” to 12 “Safety Essentials” by filling in a card at the back.
2. A video focusing on “Safety Essentials” is available at all sites. This is directed at employees, new starters, visitors and contractor inductions.
3. Printed documents, including a calendar that shows that safety is a year-round practice, posters and personal reminder pocket cards to carry around for quick reference.
4. Electronic safety alert reports, circulated as soon as an incident has occurred.
5. Feedback from employees is encouraged via ‘Near Hit’ / Hazard Alert cards to raise health and safety concerns with management. Senior management carry out health and safety tours to mark sites for compliance with the “Safety Essentials”
6. Publicity of the launch of the campaign via the employee newsletters and magazines.
Since the launch of the campaign, strong progress has been made, including 34 per cent reduction in employee lost time injuries and 41 per cent reduction in contractor lost time injuries.