|Brett Electrical recognised to international standards
|The new manager at the Brett Electrical Department wanted the high professionalism of his team recognised by an independent body. He decided to pursue recognition to three standards: OHSAS 18001, ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
They studied the existing Group system - QHEST (quality, health, safety, environment together) to examine how they could apply these criteria to support their department.
Some of the specific improvements that were made to the electrical department included:
- Daily task based risk assessments;
- Twice yearly reviews for craftsmen;
- Weekly vehicle inspections;
- Control, management and correct disposal of redundant discharge lighting equipment;
- Structured and formalised apprenticeship scheme; and
- Monthly toolbox talks in line with current SHE themes.
Through implementing the QHEST system and applying specific measures to the electrical department, they have gained accreditation to OHSAS 18001, ISO 14001 and ISO 9001. This achievement means the professionalism of the department has been recognised by an independent body to international standards and has increased the morale of the workforce.