|Retrofit programme for safe maintenance access
|Traditionally the cause of incidents on the site has involved maintenance, especially when working at night. Developments were undertaken to address concerns over access and egress, manual handling and working at height.
The risk from falls at height has been reduced by removing the need to work at height wherever possible. For example, lighting poles have been modified to drop to the ground to remove the need for ladder access.
Other changes which have improved access and egress include:
- Safe access platform provided to the rotary slat for the Standard Havens coated plant;
- Extension of handrails on the full length of the Standard Havens conveyor;
- Additional walkways near to conveyors;
- Safe access to crusher bins; and
- Specially designed platforms to fit the primary crusher shaft during maintenance.