|The Mountsorrel near miss newsletter
|Due to the physical size of the quarry at Mountsorrel it has always been difficult to ensure that messages from quarry management to employees and contractors on site were received.
There was a significant issue with near miss reporting and employees would often raise the near miss but could not always learn what action had been taken.
The majority of site employees would not be able to access an electronic briefing so the “Mountsorrel Near Miss News” was introduced as a way of getting messages to all employees.
The newsletter started by simply feeding back actions on near misses but rapidly developed into a means of communicating other information, including:
- Personal achievements such as certificates passed and apprenticeships completed;
- New safety rules or protocols;
- Best Practice websites such as “www.safequarry.com”;
- Details of major sales contracts; and
- Social functions organised through the Mountsorrel Social Club.
The newsletter has led to an increase in near miss reporting and also means employees’ achievements are recognised by their fellow workers.