|Training Academy for mobile plant
|A director-lead focus group highlighted the high proportion of incidents involving front end loaders or loading shovels.
The quality of the training for those new to operating mobile plant on Lafarge sites, was identified as an issue.
As a result the Lafarge Training Academy was established to provide:
- Seven days worth of training and assessment for new starters.
- Practical and theory training, supported by demonstrations by manufacturers.
- The use of qualified trainers.
- Retraining and assessment for existing operators.
- An induction in ‘The Lafarge way’.
- Training for certain operators, some going on to achieve “Advanced operator” status.
Since the first Academy was held Lafarge has seen a 10 per cent reduction in incidents involving front end loaders.
It also estimates that the training has led to an £85,000 annual cost saving.