|Lafarge Cement has identified quarry mobile plant safety as a key area to focus on.
Among the initiatives it has undertaken are:
- Tool box talks on quarry mobile plant and brake system operation, testing and maintenance have been developed in conjunction with the Off-highway Plant and Equipment Research Centre (OPERC).
- A report was prepared on quarry speed limits.
- Plans have been prepared for all sites assessing the gradients and widths of haul roads.
- Spillard Safety has undertaken mobile plant safety checks.
- The initiatives have been publicised internally.
These and other initiatives such as NVQs and traffic circulation plans, have resulted in much safer environments in quarries, and operators being better informed and professional in their daily duties.