|Precision GPS equipment improves H&S on construction sites
Lafarge Contracting recognised the potential hazards created by the traditional method of surveyors marking out sites with pins and lines to help asphalt laying gangs lay to the right level and in the correct location.
They introduced a GPS based system that has significantly improved the setting out process and reduced the potential for health and safety injuries. The GPS equipment is pre-programmed
with required levels and these can be checked ‘live’ against the laid material. The process allows adjustments to be made without the need for pins or lines.
• Removes risk of tripping, impalement other injuries associated with pin & line
• Removes the need for pro-longed bending to take measurements
• Removes the need to cross live traffic when checking levels
• Improvements in the accuracy and speed at which the levels and locations checked
• Improved data collection and record keeping
• Improved productivity
• Reduced stress on the construction site.