|Proactive management of ship repair contractors during dredger planned maintenance
The management of contractors is a major challenge for Tarmac Marine Dredging Ltd (TMD) particularly during the annual scheduled maintenance stop when there can be circa 40 contractors and the crew on board. The work programme is complex and often involves tasks being undertaken in a confined space with a range of inherent risks.
In response to this, TMD has instituted a wide range of measures to ensure high standards of safety are set and maintained. The measures included;
• A visit by SHE advisor to potential repair contractors during selection process
• Contractors arriving on board for the first time are taken through a structured induction process which includes TMDs Golden rules. Their understanding is tested as part of the process.
• Improved safety performance of contractors and repair yard staff
• A positive and partnership approach to safety for all involved
• Since 2009, TMD have recorded 80,000 contractor hours without a contractor LTI.
• TMD’s last employee LTI occurred in March 2009.