|Developing an engaged and ‘well-being culture’
MQP wanted to do more to improve the well-being of employees in the company. Through engaging in discussions about ‘wellbeing’ using employee forums and a ‘bright ideas’ scheme, it wanted to find additional ways to support employees. The overall objectives were to change attitudes and to create a good health and well-being culture both during and after work with employees being asked for their views and suggestions.
The outcome of this process was the provision of the following additional services to staff:
• Flu jabs
• Financial advice and support
• Support to stop smoking
• Subsidised gym membership
• Employee assistance helpline
• Fit club’
• Blood sugars and cholesterol checks
• Wellness (well man/well woman) discussion with nurse
• Raising awareness of occupational health risks such as silicosis, wbv/hav and noise
• Purchasing a defibrillator for our main super quarry.
• Improvements in general and mental health of staff
• Reductions in sick leave
• Reduced stress levels
• A happier workforce
• Increased willingness to report health issues
• Staff more engaged in making suggestions for an improved work environment.