|Maerz Kilns – Caged access system for internal inspection.
Singleton Birch Limited operates four Maerz lime kilns. During operations there are occasions when kiln personnel, have to inspect the inside of the kiln. This task exposed the operator to risks from working at height, the potential to fall into the kiln when they leaned through the inspection hatch or being 'sucked in' by the air movements within the kiln. The operator was required to wear a work restraint harness and a rescue plan was in place.
Oliver Fisher, a trainee kiln operator, came up with the idea of having a hinged access cage. The cage can be swung into place inside the kiln opening, eliminating the risk of falling into the kiln.
• Legal compliance with regulation 6(3) of 2005 Working at Heights legislation
• High risk task can now be completed far more safely
• Inspections can now be done by one person
• No requirement for safety restraints and rescue plans
• Can be easily fitted at cost of £500 per kiln.