|15 years Lost Time Incident-free
Cauldon quarry is a 1.2 million tonnes per year quarrying operation with 12 members of staff operating a day shift pattern. On 1st August 2012 the team achieved 15 years of LTI-free working which is still running to date.
Several factors contributed to this:
• Team participation and commitment
• Clear focused drive in resolving issues as they occur
• Regular team meetings and discussions
• Ideas sharing
• Actively using the knowledge of the team members to improve safety
• Setting and maintaining high standards in all areas i.e. housekeeping
A high level of importance is placed on training, with a commitment to gaining vocational qualifications. This is supported via in-house assessors and verifiers to support all operators, fitters and managers to attain their relevant qualifications/standards.
All unsafe acts or conditions are reported quickly and closed out effectively with feedback given. All members are encouraged to challenge each other if they see anything that could lead to harm, and they are empowered to take action on safety within their scope, and to report anything outside this.
• 15 years continuing record LTI-free
• No absence from work through injury
• Raised safety awareness across the whole team and employee empowerment
• High levels of attainment to aspire to
• Proactive approach to hazard identification and positive approach to Near Miss reporting
• Positive challenge of unsafe acts or conditions with high rate of close out
• Setting and maintaining high H&S standards.