|Asphalt collect customer safety initiative
Members of the MPA Wales Regional committee were concerned by the standards of safety with collect customers at their asphalt plants. They recognized that to achieve improvements a consistent standard of safe operating procedures would need to be applied across all sites. They agreed that the best way to influence change was to work in partnership and use the safer by sharing approach.
A working party was established which agreed a policy where all the operators would implement consistent safe operating procedures. Several meetings were held resulting in a set of rules and the publication of a do’s and don’ts safety card. This formed part of the collect customer’s induction.
A number of workshops were held for the employers of the drivers.At the workshops examples of the unsafe practices were highlighted, the new policy explained together with consequences of non compliance and the training packages provided for them to give to their staff.
• The workshops were well received by collect customers
• Collect customers committed to support campaign
• Training packages were used by employers with their staff
• A consistent approach to safety procedures applied across the region
• The scheme is on-going and results monitored