Charcon Construction Solutions introduced plasma cutting into the T beam manufacturing process at their Morpeth manufacturing site. This replaced the use of heavy, hand held, petrol saws which were used whilst standing on the T beam. During commissioning, it was realized that trailing electrical and pneumatic cables and the manual movement of the plasma cutting devices were hazards. A trolley was developed that would travel on top of the beams integrated with suspended cables on a small monorail. It incorporated a set of side wheels which allowed the trolley to be guided by the side of the beam without “crabbing”.
• Reduced risks associated with noise, dust, HAVs, slips trips and falls
• Reduced risks from working at height and the potential for muscular and skeletal injuries
• Elimination of hazards associated with trailing cables (415 volt)
• Reduces risks of pneumatic high pressure injections injuries
• Reduced manual handling
• Cutting is quicker, less arduous and undertaken at ground level