|Raising the industry profile in road safety
CEMEX has been pro-active in driving a wide range of road safety initiatives particularly with regard to cyclist safety. With an increasing number of fatalities involving cyclists, CEMEX decided to organise a round table event to provide a platform to debate and discuss workable industry solutions.
The London round table event - “Making LGVs safer for cyclists” featured Dr Stephen Summerskill and Dr Russell Marshall of Loughborough University and the latest scientific research into blind areas around large vehicles. CEMEX presented the results of trials into different cyclist safety features. The event was fully attended by industry, expert and pressure groups.
This event was in addition to the continuation of cyclist awareness “Exchanging places” campaigns and other key events such as:
• Department of Transport – Evidence to advisory panel on vehicle safety technologies
• Transport for London Construction Logistics and Cycle Safety group
• Institute of Traffic Accident Investigators – supported a crash test day event
• EU parliament cycle safety lobby provided vehicle and expert support
• Provided key note speakers Boris Johnson cycle safety and at Met Police events
• Supporting several national TV productions including the BBC’s “One Show”
• FTA – Transport manager – UK wide seminars – Provided resources on cycle safety”
• Provided leadership to the construction sector on cyclist safety
• Shared key research enabling informed debate on key issues
• Improved understanding of key issues from different perspectives
• Helped influence a consistent approach amongst customers and authorities
To necessary safety requirements
• Demonstration of CEMEX vision of ‘Being the Best’ for Families
• Demonstration of the MPA’s ‘Safe by Sharing’ scheme.