At CEMEX’s Local Asphalt Sheffield plant, the traditional, steel framed feed bins are filled from above using a loading shovel. The sloped sides of the bin then enable the aggregate to flow under gravity. However, in very cold weather conditions the material can freezeand stop flowing. To clear the blockage, staff would be required to work at height to access the bins and attempt to clear it using manual handling techniques and tools.
Staff and contract fitters were consulted on how to improve safety in this working area.
Working with Cross Electrical, (an Avetta vetted contractor) an insulated, cladded frame with thermostatically controlled trace heating was installed.
- Risk of working at height reduced
- Risk of manual handling reduced
- Risk of slip, trip or fall reduced
- No production lost due to bin storage blockage in cold weather
- Employee involvement in finding solution