Tarmac has introduced innovative smartcard technology to change the way it manages and supports drivers in the construction industry. The card system provides maximum assurance of the safety and competency of all drivers either entering Tarmac’s sites or being dispatched along the supply chain.
The ‘OneCard’ is scanned at site entry or exit points. The reader is provided with a real time data check and has visibility of an individual driver’s competence together with any mandatory induction criteria. An example of this would be highlighting whether the driver had been to the site before, whether their induction had expired and whether all their required competencies were in date.
Tarmac have circa 11,000 drivers of which 95% are third party contractors. The number of mostly paper-based records held on these drivers is huge. Checking, maintaining and accessing this information was becoming a significant challenge for Tarmac. The new system allows both static and remote staff to quickly identify drivers as the named and approved person who holds the required permits and qualifications.
The 'OneCard', with a driver photo and unique I.D number, also prevents fraud and the risk of duplication. The system allows the instant awarding of a competency and the uploading of evidence which is time and date stamped. A simpler, smarter, safer system that represents a major step forward for Tarmac’s management of drivers.
- Allows real time checks of driver competency at site
- More efficient, accurate data entry and easily accessible records
- Ensures drivers qualifications and training up to date
- Ensures driver’s site inductions are up to date
- Popular with weighbridge operators
- Popular with drivers – less paper and easy to use
- Popular with management
- Potentially industry changing innovation
- Useful to customers and supply chain partners
- Potential to facilitate industrywide data sharing on drivers.