|BLBP Cliffe Team journeys from Worst-in-class to Best-in-class
BLBP Cliffe consists of 3 separate factories and historically had a poor reputation for health & safety and housekeeping. Since 2010, the management team has led significant improvements, implementing a programme to take Cliffe from the Worst in Class to Best in Class.
The programme involved the implementation of wide range of initiatives that included new health and safety systems, investing in a wide range of site improvements to improve housekeeping and employee safety, improved communications and sharing of health and safety issues, team work in identifying and developing the solutions to address them. The actions included:
• Introducing SHE Committee system
• Improving near miss reporting
• Completion of BrettSafes (mini-risk assessments)
• Clearly marked walkways and new barriers
• Upgrade of aggregates tower,
• Installing flooring platforms for mixer tower
• Building workshop facilities to include adequate facilities for lifting operations
• Improved machine layout,
• Improved traffic management system
• Improved site welfare facilities.
• Implementation of HAVs monitoring systems
• Face Fit testing completed and poster campaigns introduced across the site.
• New COSHH assessment system.
• All staff engaged and “open culture”
• Excellent housekeeping standards and improved work flows
• Significantly improved awareness and standards of health and safety
• RIDDOR reduced from 3 to 0 over 4 year period
• Reported near misses increased from 560 to 1017 within 4 year period
• 99% sign off completion of near misses raised
• Very positive feedback from staff, suppliers and customers.