|Improved Traffic Management System
BLBP Cliffe is a complex of three Concrete Block Paving factories located on the same site. Historically the site was heavily congested with queues of HGVs outside the site on narrow lanes creating hazards for other road users. On the site, there were problems with stock management that led to long waiting times and to HGVs having to make multiple pickups across the site. Additionally, the route for HGVs on the site crossed over key pedestrian routes as well as requiring two way traffic in a confined space.
In consultation with the site team, changes were made to the yard system by examining and improving stock holding principles, changing entrance and exit points, re-routing traffic and pedestrian routes and enhancing pedestrian protection measures. Specific improvements included;
• New entrance with barrier eliminating both queuing on blind bend and cars mixing with HGVs entering site.
• Creating a vehicle free pedestrian route from car park.
• Pager system to call in HGV drivers – minimizing pedestrians in waiting areas
• Revised stock locations minimising FLT travel distances when stocking / loading
• A one way system for HGVs with full width roadways
• Designated walkways creating pedestrian segregation throughout site
• Permit system for pedestrians needing to deviate from walkways
• Designated HGV loading bays
• Improved signage
• Creation of new exit point with barrier
• Installation of a sheeting / load checking platform prior to final exit point
• The site is safer and more efficient
• Traffic and personnel are segregated
• Fewer interactions between FLT and HGV
• Safe access to loads
• Reduced FLT travel distances
• Reduced loading errors
• FLT fuel use down 12%
• Vehicle turnaround time improved by 28%
• Positive feedback from staff and customers