A machine operator was using a Vogele Super 1303-3i Tarmac Paving Machine to surface the road at Salden Lane. At the time of the incident, 380T of asphalt had been laid out of a planned 400T. The canopy of the paver suddenly collapsed trapping the operator under it.
His colleagues immediately went to his assistance but were unable to pump the canopy up, the ram had bent so they had to manually lift it to release him.
The IP was taken to hospital for assessment. X-rays showed he had no broken bones but had bruising and ligament damage. He was kept in hospital over the weekend for further checks as a precaution and he is now at home recovering. The incident is still under investigation.
• The retaining pins for the canopy were not in place at the time of the incident and only one was found on the dashboard of the machine.
• RAM failed by bending which caused the canopy to collapse quickly
• The paver had been delivered and set up by the low loader driver
• Work was stopped and Operator was taken to Hospital
• Paver was isolated for investigation by the hire company and Colas