Fire Safety - Hot Work
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT DETAILS
At a sand and gravel unit an electrician had been removing cabling from aggregate bins prior to them being dismantled. Some of the cabling had dropped down into the bins and a small piece of rubber had become lodged between 2 pieces of steel where it lay undetected.
The following day, whilst cutting some pipework above the bin with gas cutting equipment, sparks and hot steel fell into the aggregate bin ultimately causing the piece of rubber to ignite and catch on fire.
Although a large amount of smoke was emitted, the fire was small and burnt out quickly.
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT IMAGES
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS TAKEN
1. All staff and contractors should be reminded to take “Time Out” before undertaking any work so that ALL risks can be considered.
2. Be aware that, under certain favourable circumstances, sparks can ignite flammable items.
3. Carry out a survey of the area before doing any “hot work” to ensure ALL flammable items are removed or suitably protected from sources of ignition.
4. Do not start “hot work” unless adequate fire fighting equipment is in place and is readily available for use in an emergency.
5. Ensure that Housekeeping is included in any method statement for contractors work.
6. Finally, don’t forget to check the area 1 hour after “hot work” has stopped, to ensure there are no smouldering fires.
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS IMAGES
Go back to search critera