Sweeper Reversing Incident
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT DETAILS
An external hired in sweeper was working in a lane closure on the road. As he was manoeuvring on site, he had his beacons and audible reversing alarm on. Whilst he was reversing, it was said by the driver that he was utilising his wing mirrors and his reversing camera, however his camera image was being obscured by reflection from the sun, making the camera effectively useless. He continued to reverse and only stopped when he saw a hard hat rolling across the floor in his mirror.
He got out and found the two gang members, who had been painting a joint, lying on the floor. The other gang members came over and assisted the two guys, who were shortly afterwards taken to hospital.
Operative A suffered back and muscle damage due to the impact of the vehicle and fall to the ground.
Operative A collided with Operative B and both fell to the ground. Operative B suffered a fractured wrist as a result of the impact with the ground. Bitumen from the can was also spilled resulting in burns to Operative B.
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT IMAGES
Click image to enlarge
Bitumen went inside gauntlets
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS TAKEN
1. The surrounding area was safe and assistance was provided to both gangers.
2. The Supervisor contacted the company offices and a SHEQ Advisor visited the site that afternoon and conducted a Drug and Alcohol test on the sweeper driver.
3. Both of the Operatives were taken to hospital for assessment and treatment.
4. Full accident investigation commenced.
Further action advised/recommendations:
1. A full investigation is being carried out, that includes 3rd party companies and
2. Witness statements shall be taken and recorded from all relevant staff.
3. Use of RHINOweld Gauntlets (Full Sleeved) and Full Face Visor to be re-enforced by
4. Managers/Supervisors to re-visit all gangs and ensure all are appropriately inducted.
5. A review of working practices shall be undertaken and potentially recommendations may be advised.
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS IMAGES
Go back to search critera