Driver in near fatality on motorway hard shoulder
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT DETAILS
A driver stopped on the hard shoulder of the motorway following a blowout. He exited the vehicle on the driver’s side to examine the rear off-side wheel. Another lorry which was travelling on the inside lane nearly struck him – he was fractions of an inch from almost certain death.
A ctv camera fitted to the vehicle captured the whole incident. The driver was probably saved when the oncoming vehicle lost its mirror as it struck the parked vehicle, the driver would have instinctively steered away from the hard shoulder and thus avoided striking the driver who was inspecting the wheel. He had a slight injury when he was struck by the flying mirror.
The driver did not appreciate how close he came to being killed until he was shown the video during an investigation into the incident.
View the heart stopping video of the incident via the safequarry video library.
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT IMAGES
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS TAKEN
What You Must Do If You Find Yourself in a Similar Situation
• You should never get out of your vehicle on the ‘Live’ traffic side. This will, in most cases mean that you will exit the vehicle from the passengers door.
• After exiting the vehicle, position yourself in a place of safety. If there is a safety barrier in place, get yourself onto the non-traffic side and if possible, retreat to a safe distance.
• Contact your line manager and inform them of the situation. They will make the necessary arrangements such as fitter call out and lane closures.
• Do not attempt to investigate the issue or effect repair.
• Don’t Take the Risk – Go Home Safe
• Share the video with your colleagues, friends and family
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS IMAGES
Go back to search critera