Truck Mixer Overturn
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT DETAILS
A fully laden truck mixer delivering concrete to a customer site overturned while travelling around a roundabout. The driver suffered a fractured wrist that required surgery. Fortunately, no other vehicles or people were involved..
Key Findings from the Investigation:
- The truck mixer was travelling at 18-20 mph
- The rear wheels of the truck clipped the inside kerb of the roundabout the moment before it overturned
- The driver was wearing his seatbelt, saving him from a more serious injury
- The driver had only been driving a truck mixer for three months
- The driver had not had the Company ‘How to Avoid Truck Mixer Overturns’ briefing
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT IMAGES
Click image to enlarge
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS TAKEN
- Check that all drivers have had the appropriate company briefing such as ‘How to Avoid Truck Mixer Overturns’; this includes; employed, contracted and hired drivers.
- Ensure that all new truck mixer drivers receive the appropriate company briefings such as ‘Driver Safety Essentials’ and ‘How to Avoid Truck Mixer Overturns’, as part of their induction.
- Slow down for bends, corners and roundabouts
- Always wear your seatbelt
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS IMAGES
Go back to search critera