Fall from Height while accessing mobile plant
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT DETAILS
An employee was accessing their machine via the step on the excavator tracks and two handrails. On this particular machine, one of the handrails was fixed to the engine compartment and the other handrail was on the cab door; this requires the door to be latched in the open position.
The IP opened the door and thought the door had been latched open. However, when the IP started to step up, the door swung/unlatched, the IP lost their grip and fell off the machine to the ground and then down a bank.
The IP sustained a fractured bone and has only recently returned to work on light duties - Note: This incident is still under investigation.
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT IMAGES
Click image to enlarge
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS TAKEN
- All LGV/Mobile plant drivers to be retrained in accessing and egressing mobile plant and LGVs.
- All Depot Managers to check door catches on mobile plant.
- All Depot Managers to check that mobile plant steps are fit for purpose and cleaned on a daily basis.
- Mobile plant access and egress should only be from ground level and not whilst on offloading ramps.
- All Fleet Managers to ensure access and egress to LGVs are fit for purpose.
- All line managers to review risk assessments relating to working at height.
Reminder to Drivers - Get a Grip
- 3 points of contact
- Steps/ladder in good repair
- Clean safety footware
- Do not jump
- Be aware of ground conditions
- Avoid carrying objects
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS IMAGES
Go back to search critera