A contractor undertaking hot work in the cooler area during the cement plant shut down narrowly escaped serious injury when a plastic cigarette lighter released lighter fluid and gas; and was ignited by the hot material.
The cigarette lighter had been taken onto site in the contractor’s top pocket and hot spatter entered his pocket, both melting the lighter and igniting the flammable gas when it was released.
The contractor was undertaking hot work on a chute and was wearing gauntlets, overalls and a balaclava over his head and face. He sustained minor burns to his chin, and after treatment was able to continue to work.
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT IMAGES
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS TAKEN
In order to prevent any similar incidents arising in future, it is essential that:
- Smoking is restricted to designated areas,
- No smoking materials are taken on the person into ATEX Zones (explosive atmosphere zones),
- No smoking materials are carried on the person when undertaking hot work.
(see additional pdf for further details)
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS IMAGES
Go Back to Search Critera