How could this have been avoided?
• Two-way communications and positive reporting procedures should have been established where there was no line of sight visibility.
• The crew member’s hand should have been kept clear of danger
• The gloves worn should have been suitable for this specialist task.
Recommendations / Action taken
• Ensure all personnel are fully briefed in the operation.
• Ensure two-way communications and / or line of sight visibility.
• Review operational practice to keep hands clear of entrapment; hands should never be placed on or near surging rope turns.
• Ensure contractor on-boarding process is adequately robust.
• Ensure PPE is risk assessed suitable for specialist tasks; although gloves are advised for mooring operations they must be suitable, standard issue general-purpose items may not be appropriate.
• Ensure contractors are familiar with company reporting protocols.