Driver falls from access ladder on mixer truck
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT DETAILS
After washing down the truckmixer chute from the rear platform at the end of the day, an independent haulage contractor descended the ladder. On stepping down to the ground, the driver misjudged the floor level, lost his balance and fell, in doing so he fractured his wrist.
A review of the incident confirmed the following key findings
- Housekeeping and ground conditions were good
- The wash area was free from slurry
- There was good natural lighting in the area.
- The drivers PPE was in good order including his boots.
- The drivers had been inducted to site.
- The drivers CPC was up to date and he is in possession of MP Connect Card.
- Video evidence showed the driver was not rushing.
- The access ladder was in good order.
- The truck was clean and tidy with no defects.
- Monthly inspections of the truck are undertaken.
- The driver has 24 years experience.
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT IMAGES
Click image to enlarge
Area where incident occurred
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS TAKEN
The incident acted as a reminder that the following questioned should be reviewed on a regular basis
- Are get a grip principles practiced and enforced?
- Are there robust inspections schemes and maintenance programmes in place?
- Are wash areas regularly inspected and cleaned?
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS IMAGES
Go back to search critera