Recently two contract haulier liveried vehicles have been involved in road traffic collisions and one that could have resulted in a major incident.
- A driver was returning to his yard after a night’s shift and despite driving well right up to the incident came off a road on a sharp bend, through a hedge ending up in a field
- Another driver felt unwell whilst driving on a motorway. As he was about to pull over passed out causing his vehicle to go across the motorway central reservation and ending up on the oncoming hard shoulder. Fortunately, there was no contact with any other vehicles or incidents because of this event.
- The drivers were used to operating their vehicles & no defects were on either vehicle
- Both drivers were not under any medication or felt fatigued at the time
- The drivers were experienced and not under any undue pressure to complete their loads
- The weather was not a contributory factor in either incident
- No injuries sustained as both drivers were wearing belts
- Both haulage contractors could demonstrate good policies and control of driving hours