Colas has introduced employee forums. Their purpose is to engage in a dialogue with operatives, in an organised and structured manner on topics that are important to the operatives or the company. Twenty-two operatives were chosen, each representing one of the contract units within the company.
The forums raise issues that are relevant to operatives working out on-site. It provides an opportunity to discuss them in a non-confrontational environment and find solutions to problems.
The issues discussed are fed back to the relevant department manager for follow up. A report is then provided to give feedback on what action has been taken.
• Excellent feedback from the people at the sharp end of health & safety
• Wide range of processes improved
• Communication has improved
• Colas systems are being updated based on feedback
• Operational staff feel more involved.