|Contractor Safety Partnership Project - 2012
|Tarmac Western region in conjunction with its major contractors set up a West Region Contractors Forum. The underpinning drive behind the partnership was to use common safety improvement tools, KPI’s and reporting methods across completely independent businesses. They all shared the common goal of achieving Zero Harm. The partnership involved four key elements.
1. Contractor selection and Inclusion
Nine companies were selected based upon the type and volume of work they undertook as Tarmac Western’s contractors.
2. Vision and communication methods
Following an initial presentation of the vision, the selected companies were asked to sign a charter which confirmed their commitment to the partnership. Members participated in a monthly conference call to discuss progress coupled with formal review meetings chaired by Tarmac. Each member was also asked to produce a Safety Improvement Plan (SIP). These SIPs were incorporated into a single, common SIP covering the whole Partnership. This ensured that all the goals could be aligned across the partnership.
Safety improvement tools and support
3.A “Toolkit” of safety improvement tools was developed which included:
• A guide to the use of and instruction in the completion of task audits and effective safety conversations
• A tool for assessing and improving the skill base of maintenance individuals and teams.
• A tool for providing a unique safety forum for supervisory staff
• A standardized approach to risk assessment.(HIRA)
• Supply Chain Events. A process to enable contractors to cascade the outputs from the Contractor Safety Partnership within their respective businesses.
4. Reporting and KPI’s
In consultation with the partners it was agreed that Tarmac’s reporting metrics would be adopted as standard practice across all the partners.
• Improves the supply chain safety performance – towards zero harm
• Effective means of sharing best practice
• Empowers contactors in pro-active management of safety
• Other operators will benefit from enhanced safety awareness and knowledge of contractors
• Process can be easily adopted by other operators .
SEE ADDITIONAL PDF FOR MORE INFORMATION
Click image to enlarge
Request Futher Information
|pdf document availableadditional pdf document
Go back to search critera