Fatal 5 - Struck by moving or falling object
31% of the fatalities in the industry are associated with individuals being struck by moving or falling objects.
Incidents involving injuries from a falling or moving object commonly are associated with operators dropping tools, parts or dislodging materials that either fall on them or a colleague, individuals being struck during loading or unloading, materials being thrown out during a manufacturing process, materials falling from conveyors or other transportation system and failure of strapping/lifting device during maintenance procedures.
These risks can be mitigated by a range of measures which include;
- Complete lifting plans and supervision of lifting operations
- Wearing appropriate PPE such as safety helmets and boots
- Overhead protection or use of netting
- Better guarding that prevents spillage
- Checking that the correct lifting devices are being used
- Checking that lifting devices are well maintained
- Maintaining safety zones during loading and unloading
- Moving pedestrians away form high risk areas
- Ensuring that storage areas and shelving are appropriate
- Better risk assessments and safe systems of work.
MPA Working Group and Other Resources
Please note - All the resources which are related to Fatal 5, which includes Incident Alerts, Good Practice, Toolbox Talks and Videos, can be accessed by clicking on the orange boxes directly beneath the table that shows the Guidance relevant to Fatal 5. The first items shown are the resources created by the MPA Working Group.
MPA and Hycontrol have produced guidelines on the prevention of silo over-pressurisation
Please click on buttons below to view more information.